Sunday, January 20, 2019

Summary of my placement in Nepal

Before I left my last job in Malaysia, my boss asked me one question: "What do you expect to learn for the volunteering in Nepal?" I replied him that I'm looking for new experience while I'm still young. Well, as it happened in the past 3 months and I did enjoy the time with Umbrella team and I have a nice placement in Nepal as well.

I was very lucky to meet and work together with the great people at this awesome foundation (Oh no, I start to miss Didi who prepares the most delicious lunch meal every working day!). Unlike most people coming Nepal is for charity work, most of the time I stay at the office to complete the task given. My primary job is to search relevant information from the internet, to create and design the computer training materials for the youth whose graduate from their secondary education. The topics of computer training materials including the introduction of computer, web design and development, game and APP design, database management system, block-chain and so on. These training materials shall be able to provide useful resources and materials to assist the youth into learning of basic computer knowledge so that establish their skills and interests in order to develop their future career path.

Yeah, it's true that none I have learnt or develop any new skills during my time at Umbrella in response to my boss's question. But I believe that the team is providing the best efforts so that the children and youth shall deserve a fair chance to learn as much as possible. I'm not great enough but I wish I'm able to do something more meaningful as long as I can, and I know that I made the right decision to come over here as a volunteer at Umbrella which is definitely an unique experience in my life.

Not to be forgotten that my best memory in Nepal is the Annapurna Base Camp trekking which spent me 7 days to complete. Since many years ago ABC trekking is always one of my bucket list and finally it was done during the Dashain Festival in last October. I feel very proud that I'm trekking alone and I'm totally have fun throughout the trip.


Last but not least, I just want to say thank you to every Umbrella staff that help me a lot to settle down the daily life in Nepal especially at the time my left leg was pain, they take good care of me and I'm really appreciate every warmest greetings from you guys. That's what lovely people are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment